Wingspan Mission & Values
Wingspan’s mission is to promote the freedom, equality, safety and well-being of LGBT people.
Wingspan envisions a community in which lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people:
Participants at "A Colorful Life" in honor of Maurice Grossman
- are treated with dignity and respect.
- live in a community free from violence and abuse.
- live full, healthy, and interconnected lives.
- are free to live openly with pride.
- are celebrated in their full diversity.
- feel part of an organized, supportive, and active LGBT community.
- are empowered to participate fully as active citizens.
Wingspan’s values include a commitment to serve the community in accordance of these principles:
- To actively value diversity within and among our communities, including diversity of opinions, beliefs, and values.
- To work toward the elimination of homophobia, heterosexism, racism, sexism, classism, ageism, ableism, and other forms of oppression in our communities and our lives.
- To work toward the eradication of violence in our communities and our lives.
- To ensure that the Community Center is a sober and alcohol-free space.
- To strengthen and build the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender communities.
- To promote the empowerment of marginalized groups within the LGBT communities such as youth, seniors, and people with disabilities.
- To engage the community in our work through the promotion of volunteerism.
- To keep the community informed of our actions and decisions.
- To promote social change within and beyond our organization.
- To seek collaboration that furthers our mission with like-minded organizations and individuals, including those that are not specifically lesbian, gay, bisexual and/or transgender.
- To align ourselves with other social justice related causes, including, but not limited to, the anti-violence, civil rights, feminist, and anti-racist movements